- Lead Sponsor: Rep. Richard Hudson (R-NC-8)
- Position: Support / Amendments Requested
- See also S 446 (companion bill)
- FPC Press Release on House passage of H.R.38
- FPC Floor Alert dated December 5, 2017
- FPC letter requesting amendments dated December 4, 2017
- Related letter on the [combined] Fix NICS Act dated December 4, 2017
- FPC letter requesting amendments dated November 27, 2017
- FPC letter requesting amendments dated March 1, 2017
SUMMARY: Passing strong statutes to protect and advance the fundamental, individual right to bear arms for self-defense outside our home is perhaps the most important next step in restoring lost Second Amendment through sound public policy. Indeed, the time has come for national carry reciprocity in the United States.
The Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms does not stop at a state border or city or county line. And residents of some states have more access to Second Amendment rights than those in other states; travelers must make the tough choice between compliance with local laws and their right to armed personal protection.
While FPC has requested modest but important amendments to improve the measure, it is important that this bill is passed. H.R.38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017, would bring us closer to the rights and equality that we are entitled to by allowing carry license holders to carry their weapons into another state.