Help us STOP ATF’s unconstitutional and dangerous proposed “rule” that would radically expand their powers and restrict your rights!
WHO: U.S. Department of Justice and its Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (“ATF”)
WHAT: Proposed rule ATF 2021R-05 (Definition of “Frame or Receiver” and Identification of Firearms)
DEADLINE: Public comments are due August 19, 2021 at 11:59 pm EDT
QUICK SUMMARY: The ATF's unconstitutional and unlawful proposed rule 2021R-05 would:
- Broadly redefine “firearm frame or receiver” and “frame or receiver” to expand the number and types of items that ATF would consider regulated firearms
- Amend ATF's definitions of “firearm” and “gunsmith” to give the federal government more control over guns, gun owners, and those who provide critical services
- Codify new definitions of terms such as “complete weapon,” “complete muffler or silencer device,” “privately made firearm,” and “readily” for purposes of law enforcement and prosecution and put people in much greater legal risk
- Radically change ATF's regulations on firearm marking/engraving and recordkeeping
- Allow the ATF to grant itself legal authority to issue new anti-2A rules and regulations outside of the APA regulatory process
FPC POSITION: STRONGLY OPPOSED
HOW TO HELP FPC FIGHT THIS RULE:
1) ACT: Submit a comment to ATF here
- REMEMBER: The more unique comments and different arguments the ATF receives, the more they will have to read and respond to (this is good)!
- INSTRUCTIONS: All submissions received must include the agency name and docket number (ATF 2021R-05) for this notice of proposed rulemaking (“NPRM” or “proposed rule”). HOWEVER, ATF is requiring a full address and signature for mail-in comments while simultaneously allowing for comments online without that information. There is some confusion if this will negate comments. So when making your comments, submit as an individual, include your full name and address, and reference U.S. Department of Justice and its Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (“ATF”) andProposed rule ATF 2021R-05 in your comments to ensure your comment is approved.
2) RECRUIT: Ask 5 of your pro-2A family members and friends to join you in the fight by submitting a comment via FightATF.com
3) AMPLIFY: Ask pro-2A media and influencers to help you fight ATF by sharing FightATF.com with their communities and followers to spread the word and get others to take action