Summary: Federal lawsuit challenging California's "large capacity" magazine ban.
Plaintiffs: William Wiese, Jeremiah Morris, Lance Cowley, Sherman Macaston, Frank Federeau, Alan Normandy, Todd Nielsen, The Calguns Foundation, Firearms Policy Coalition, Firearms Policy Foundation, Second Amendment Foundation.
Defendants: California Attorney General Rob Bonta, DOJ Bureau of Firearms Director Martin Horan
Litigation Counsel: George M. Lee, Seiler Epstein LLP; Raymond DiGuiseppe
Docket: E.D. CA case no. 2:17-cv-00903 | CourtListener Docket
Key Events & Filings:
- 2022-11-4: Order RE: Joint Statement Continuing Status Conference RE: Further Proceedings
- 2022-10-19: Order Lifting Stay
- 2022-10-7: Joint Status Report Following Duncan v. Bonta
- 2020-8-28: Order Declining to Lift Stay
- 2019-5-8: Order Staying Case
- 2019-3-11: Defendants' Answer to Third Amended Complaint
- 2019-2-25: Memorandum & order denying in part and granting in part Defendants' motion to dismiss
- Proposed amicus curiae briefs were denied (see FN6: "The court finds no need to rule on the motions of Everytown for Gun Safety (Docket Nos. 96-97) and California Rifle & Pistol Association (Docket Nos. 100-01) to file amicus curiae briefs. The court has read the briefs and does not find that they add anything substantively to the dialogue.").
- 2019-2-12: Defendants' reply in support of motion to dismiss
- 2019-2-5: Plaintiffs' opposition to Defendants' motion to dismiss
- 2019-1-18: Defendants' notice and motion to dismiss Third Amended Complaint
- 2018-2-26: Third Amended Complaint
- 2017-4-28: Complaint