Summary: Sharp, et al. v. California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, et al. is a constitutional challenge to the DOJ's defective "bullet button assault weapon" registration system and failures to perform their duties that prevented many Californians from registering their firearms before July 1, 2018, thus denying them exemption from many serious criminal laws, and a petition for writ of mandate to require the DOJ to register their firearms as many individuals tried and intended to do before July 1.
Individual Plaintiffs/Petitioners: Harry Sharp, David Ajirogi, and Ryan Gilardy are all law-abiding, tax-paying residents of California who lawfully own firearms and attempted to register them before the July 1 deadline, but were prevented from doing so due to the Defendants failures and defective systems.
Defendants: Xavier Becerra, Attorney General of California; Brent E. Orick, Acting Chief of the Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms; the California Department of Justice; Does 1-20.
Litigation Counsel: George M. Lee; Douglas A. Applegate; Raymond M. DiGuiseppe
Docket: E.D.CA. case no. 2:18-cv-02317 | CourtListener Docket
- California "Bullet-Button Assault Weapon" Registration: Key Facts & Stats About CA's Latest Gun Control Debacle
Important Case Filings & Actions:
- 2021-3-29: Stipulated Injunction and Consent Decree
- 2021-3-18: Settlement Agreement and Proposed Stipulated Injunction and Consent Decree
- 2019-6-26: Order & Memorandum Denying Motion to Dismiss
- 2019-2-27: Order Adopting Parties’ Joint Rule 26(F) Report and Discovery Plan
- 2018-12-3: Reply in Support of Motion to Dismiss
- 2018-11-19: Opposition to Motion to Dismiss
- 2018-10-19: Motion to Dismiss
- 2018-9-21: Second Amended Complaint (Fed. E.D. Cal. docket #10)
- 2018-8-24: New case assigned to District Judge Morrison C. England, Jr (E.D.Cal.)
- 2018-8-24: Notice of Removal to Federal Eastern District of California
- 2018-7-10: Verified Complaint for Declarative and Injunctive Relief and Petition for Writ of Mandamus
- 2021-3-18: FPC Announces Settlement of Lawsuit Over California “Bullet Button Assault Weapon” “Registration Disasters”
- 2019-6-27: Federal Judge Rules Against DOJ, Orders California “Assault Weapon” Due Process Lawsuit to Go Forward
- 2018-9-24: BREAKING: Lawsuit Over California DOJ’s ‘Botched’ “Assault Weapon” Registration Scheme, Failed Systems Heads to Federal Court
- 2018-8-15: BREAKING: Gun Owners, Civil Rights Groups Seek Injunction in California “Assault Weapon” Lawsuit
- 2018-7-11: BREAKING: Gun Rights Groups Sue Calif. Attorney General Xavier Becerra, DOJ in New Lawsuit Over “Assault Weapon Registration Disasters”