Doctors need to stay in their lane and stop lying.
Via NBC News:
With frustration mounting over lawmakers' inaction on gun control, the American Medical Association on Tuesday pressed for a ban on assault weapons and came out against arming teachers as a way to fight what it calls a public health crisis...
AMA delegates voted to adopt several of nearly a dozen gun-related proposals presented by doctor groups that are part of the AMA's membership. They agreed to:
- Support any bans on the purchase or possession of guns and ammunition by people under 21.
- Back laws that would require licensing and safety courses for gun owners and registration of all firearms.
- Press for legislation that would allow relatives of suicidal people or those who have threatened imminent violence to seek court-ordered removal of guns from the home.
- Encourage better training for physicians in how to recognize patients at risk for suicide.
- Push to eliminate loopholes in laws preventing the purchase or possession of guns by people found guilty of domestic violence, including expanding such measures to cover convicted stalkers...
"There's a place to start and this should be it," Dr. Jim Hinsdale, a San Jose, California, trauma surgeon, said before the vote.
Read more here.