Summary: Federal lawsuit challenging New Jersey's "Assault Weapons" ban as unconstitutional under the Second Amendment.
Plaintiffs: Mark Cheeseman, Timothy Connelly, and Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC)
Defendants: Acting Attorney General Matthew Platkin, New Jersey State Police Superintendent Patrick Callahan, Acting Gloucester County Prosecutor Christine Hoffman, and Ocean County Prosecutor Bradley Billhimer
Litigation Counsel: Eric Mark and Brett Joshpe
Docket: D. NJ case no. 1:22-cv-04360 | CourtListener Docket
Key Events & Filings:
- 2023-11-03: Combined Brief in Opposition to Plaintiffs’ Motions for Summary Judgment and in Support of State Defendants’ Cross-motion for Summary Judgment
- 2023-10-6: Plaintiffs’ Motion for Summary Judgment
- 2022-12-14: TEXT ORDER In light of the pending motion to consolidate this action with Civ. No. 3:18-10507, this action shall be ADMINISTRATIVELY TERMINATED until such motion has been decided. This Court will address the pre-motion letters and responses filed by the parties at such time if necessary.
- 2022-11-18: State Defendants’ Motion for Consolidation
- 2022-8-30: Defendant Bradley D. Billhimer's Motion to Dismiss Plaintiffs' Amended Complaint in lieu of Answer
- 2022-8-26: Defendants Matthew J. Platkin’s and Patrick J. Callahan’s Answer to First Amended Complaint and Affirmative Defenses
- 2022-7-14: First Amended Complaint
- 2022-6-30: Complaint