Summary: Federal lawsuit challenging various Orders, actions, and closures of firearm and ammunition retailers and shooting ranges upon threat of prosecution, etc.
Plaintiffs: Adam Brandy; Jonah Martinez; Daemion Garro; DG 2A Enterprises Inc., D.B.A. Gun World; Jason Montes; Weyland-Yutani LLC, D.B.A. Match Grade Gunsmiths; Alan Kushner; The Target Range; Tom Watt; A Place To Shoot, Inc.; Second Amendment Foundation; California Gun Rights Foundation; National Rifle Association of America; and Firearms Policy Coalition, Inc.
Defendants: Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva; California Governor Gavin Newsom; California Public Health Officer Sonia Y. Angell; Director of Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Barbara Ferrer; County of Los Angeles; City of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti; City Of Los Angeles, California; City of Burbank City Manager And Director Of Emergency Services Justin Hess; City Of Burbank, California.
Litigation Counsel: George M. Lee; John Dillon; Raymond DiGuiseppe
Docket: C.D. CA case no. 2:20-cv-02874, Ninth Circuit case no. 20-56233 | CourtListener Docket
Donate & Support Pro-2A Lawsuits & Legal Action!
Key Events & Filings:
- 2022-8-23: Joint Status Report
- 2022-7-19: Order Regarding Ninth Circuit’s Mandate
Court of Appeals
- 2022-7-6: Order Remanding Case
- 2022-6-30: Defendants’ Motion For Issuance of Remand and Mandate
- 2022-3-14: Filed text clerk order: The motion to stay the mandate is granted.
- 2022-3-10: Motion to Stay the Mandate
- 2022-2-15: Motion for a Second 14-day Extension of Time for Filing Petition for Rehearing or, in the Alternative, Rehearing En Banc
- 2022-1-28: Motion for A 14-day Extension of Time for Filing Petition for Rehearing or, in the Alternative, Rehearing En Banc
- 2022-1-20: Opinion
- 2021-12-8: 28(j) Letter
- 2021-12-3: 28(j) Letter
- 2021-10-18: Oral Arguments
- 2021-9-28: 28(j) Letter
- 2021-8-8: Notice of Oral Argument on Monday, October 18, 2021 - 09:00 A.M. - Courtroom 3 - Scheduled Location: Pasadena CA.
- 2021-5-26: Appellants' Reply Brief
- 2021-5-5: Appellees' Answering Brief
- 2021-3-4: Appellants' Opening Brief
- 2020-11-9: Judgment
- 2020-10-20: Order Granting Defendants' Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings
- 2020-9-18: Reply in Support of Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings
- 2020-8-28: Opposition to Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings
- 2020-8-21: Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings
- 2020-6-24: Motion to Dismiss
- 2020-6-24: Answer to First Amended Complaint
- 2020-4-6: Order Denying TRO
- 2020-4-6: Reply in Support of TRO
- 2020-4-3: County Defendants' Notice of Interested Parties
- 2020-4-3: State Defendants' Opposition to TRO/MPI & Declarations/Exhibits ISO Opposition
- 2020-4-3: City of Los Angeles Defendants' Opposition to TRO/MPI
- 2020-4-3: Supplemental Declaration of Alan Kushner in support of TRO/MPI
- 2020-3-30: Application for Temporary Retraining Order and Preliminary Injunction; Memorandum of Points and Authorities in support of TRO Application; Declarations in support of TRO Application; Proposed Order
- 2020-3-29: First Amended Complaint
- 2020-3-27: Complaint
Related News Releases
- 2022-1-20: FPC Law Wins Two Ninth Circuit Cases Challenging Los Angeles, Ventura COVID Closures
- 2021-5-26: FPC Files Reply Brief in Appeal Challenging Los Angeles County’s Closures of Gun and Ammo Retailers
- 2021-3-5: FPC Fires First in Two Ninth Circuit Appeals Challenging Gun Store, Shooting Range COVID-19 Closures in Los Angeles and Ventura Counties
- 2020-4-6: FPC Statement on Federal Court’s Denial of a Temporary Restraining Order in Los Angeles Gun Store Closure Lawsuit
- 2020-3-29: Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, City of Los Angeles Sued in Federal Second Amendment Lawsuit Over Gun Store and Shooting Range Shutdown Orders, Closures
- 2020-3-27: FPC, SAF, CGF, NRA File Federal Lawsuit Against Los Angeles Sheriff Villanueva, California Gov. Gavin Newsom Over Constitutional Violations