Summary: Federal lawsuit challenging various Orders, actions, and closures of firearm and ammunition retailers and shooting ranges upon threat of prosecution, etc.
Plaintiffs: Adam Brandy; Jonah Martinez; Daemion Garro; DG 2A Enterprises Inc., D.B.A. Gun World; Jason Montes; Weyland-Yutani LLC, D.B.A. Match Grade Gunsmiths; Alan Kushner; The Target Range; Tom Watt; A Place To Shoot, Inc.; Second Amendment Foundation; California Gun Rights Foundation; National Rifle Association of America; and Firearms Policy Coalition, Inc.
Defendants: Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva; California Governor Gavin Newsom; California Public Health Officer Sonia Y. Angell; Director of Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Barbara Ferrer; County of Los Angeles; City of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti; City Of Los Angeles, California; City of Burbank City Manager And Director Of Emergency Services Justin Hess; City Of Burbank, California.
Litigation Counsel: George M. Lee; John Dillon; Raymond DiGuiseppe
Docket: C.D. CA case no. 2:20-cv-02874, Ninth Circuit case no. 20-56233 | CourtListener Docket
Key Events & Filings
- 2021-8-8: Notice of Oral Argument on Monday, October 18, 2021 - 09:00 A.M. - Courtroom 3 - Scheduled Location: Pasadena CA.
- 2021-5-26: Appellants' Reply Brief
- 2021-5-5: Appellees' Answering Brief
- 2021-3-4: Appellants' Opening Brief
- 2020-11-9: Judgment
- 2020-9-18: Reply in Support of Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings
- 2020-8-28: Opposition to Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings
- 2020-8-21: Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings
- 2020-6-24: Motion to Dismiss
- 2020-6-24: Answer to First Amended Complaint
- 2020-4-6: Order Denying TRO
- 2020-4-6: Reply in Support of TRO
- 2020-4-3: County Defendants' Notice of Interested Parties
- 2020-4-3: State Defendants' Opposition to TRO/MPI & Declarations/Exhibits ISO Opposition
- 2020-4-3: City of Los Angeles Defendants' Opposition to TRO/MPI
- 2020-4-3: Supplemental Declaration of Alan Kushner in support of TRO/MPI
- 2020-4-1: (IN CHAMBERS) ORDER by Judge Andre Birotte Jr. Defendants Alex Villanueva, Gavin Newsom, Sonia Y. Angell, Barbara Ferrer, County of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti, City of Los Angeles, Justin Hess, and City of Burbank ("Defendants") are ORDERED to file a response to Plaintiffs' ex parte application for a Temporary Restraining Order on or before 5:00pm Friday, April 3, 2020. IT IS SO ORDERED. THERE IS NO PDF DOCUMENT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS ENTRY. (cb) TEXT ONLY ENTRY
- 2020-3-30: Application for Temporary Retraining Order and Preliminary Injunction; Memorandum of Points and Authorities in support of TRO Application; Declarations in support of TRO Application; Proposed Order
- 2020-3-29: First Amended Complaint
- 2020-3-27: Complaint
Related News Releases
- 2021-5-26: FPC Files Reply Brief in Appeal Challenging Los Angeles County’s Closures of Gun and Ammo Retailers
- 2021-3-5: FPC Fires First in Two Ninth Circuit Appeals Challenging Gun Store, Shooting Range COVID-19 Closures in Los Angeles and Ventura Counties
- 2020-4-6: FPC Statement on Federal Court’s Denial of a Temporary Restraining Order in Los Angeles Gun Store Closure Lawsuit
- 2020-3-29: Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, City of Los Angeles Sued in Federal Second Amendment Lawsuit Over Gun Store and Shooting Range Shutdown Orders, Closures
- 2020-3-27: FPC, SAF, CGF, NRA File Federal Lawsuit Against Los Angeles Sheriff Villanueva, California Gov. Gavin Newsom Over Constitutional Violations