Summary: Linton v. Becerra is a federal Second Amendment, Full Faith and Credit Clause, Privileges and Immunities Clause, and Fourteenth Amendment constitutional challenge to the State's laws and policies that prevent people who had their firearm rights restored in other states from possessing and purchasing firearms and ammunition in California.
Plaintiffs: Chad Linton, Paul McKinley Stewart, Kendall Jones; Firearms Policy Foundation, Firearms Policy Coalition, Second Amendment Foundation, The Calguns Foundation, and Madison Society Foundation
Defendants: Attorney General Xavier Becerra; Acting DOJ Bureau of Firearms Chief Brent Orick (sub'd; prev. Martin Horan); Deputy Attorney General Robert Wilson
Litigation Counsel: George M. Lee, Seiler Epstein Ziegler & Applegate LLP
Fund this Lawsuit: Click here to make a tax-deductible donation to support this case!
Related Press Releases:
- December 20, 2018: Federal Lawsuit Seeks to Restore Individuals' Firearms Rights in State of California
Key Filings & Events:
- 2020-9-21: Plaintiffs' Reply Memorandum in Support of Motion for Summary Judgment, or In The Alternative, For Partial Summary Judgment
- 2020-8-21: Defendants' Opposition to Plaintiffs Motion for Summary Judgment or, In the Alternative, For Partial Summary Judgment
- 2020-6-22: Plaintiffs’ Notice of Motion and Motion For Summary Judgment, or In The Alternative, For Partial Summary Judgment
- 2019-12-16: Defendants' Answer to First Amended Complaint
- 2019-12-2: First Amended Complaint
- 2019-12-2: Order: "Plaintiffs' motion for leave to file an amended complaint is granted..."
- 2019-11-15: Motion for Leave to File First Amended Complaint; Declaration of George Lee in Support of Motion; Proposed Order
- 2019-8-22: Minute Order Terminating Motion to Dismiss (Filed 8/23/19)
- 2019-8-22: Hearing on Motion to Dismiss
- 2019-3-22: Defendants' Reply in support of Motion to Dismiss
- 2019-3-12: Plaintiffs' Opposition to Motion to Dismiss
- 2019-3-8: Plaintiffs' Request for Judicial Notice ISO Opposition to Motion to Dismiss
- 2019-2-22: Defendants' Motion to Dismiss
- 2018-12-20: Complaint with exhibits