The mass shooting in San Bernardino has state lawmakers looking again at new gun control legislation for California, while leading advocates for restrictions called Friday for the state to close a loophole that allows detachable ammunition magazines like one used by the killers.
Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de León (D-Los Angeles) said he will revisit some proposals that previously stalled, and an assemblyman proposed banning the sale of guns to those on a federal “no-fly” list.
“Now more than ever, we have to be working aggressively with law enforcement and crime prevention experts to better protect our communities,” De León said in a statement Friday. “I’ll be coordinating with the Assembly to deliver a package of proposals to the governor’s desk as soon as possible.”
One bill that failed to win approval by the Legislature in 2013 would have closed a loophole that allows semi-automatic guns to be fitted with a recessed “bullet button” that requires a tool to eject the magazine.
Read more at the LA Times.